Monday, 25 December 2017

Making: Simple Maxi, Long-Sleeve Dress with Elasticated Waist

Happy Holidays from Lapland!!! Here's my last DIY of the year - I did some standard panic sewing when I realized a couple of days before flying back home, I had nothing to wear for Christmas dinner.. The basic idea of this dress was almost the same as this one here, just with some simplification because I only had just over 2 meters of fabric (no ruffle details, no yoke, no gathering of the waist before adding the elastic). I'm EU36/US4.

My sewing year 2017 wasn't as productive as I would like, which can happen when you actually need to go to an office every day, to afford all the fabric you want to buy.. So here's to a 2018 full of MORE sewing!

Tutorials take a lot of time & effort to create, and I choose to make mine available for free. If you enjoy this guide, you can support me with a donation that feels right for you, here.

Fabric (cotton, crepe, almost any type that's flowy will do) 2.5-3 m (I used 2.3 meters but it was the ultimate Tetris exercise, no need to put yourself through that)  |  Scissors  |  Thread & Sewing machine  |  Pins  |  Not in image but enough thin elastic to go around your waist + 1 button

I. To make my skirt with the little fabric I had, I cut 4 pieces the shape of a trapezoid, about double as wide at the bottom as at the top (it doesn't look like that in the image below due to the weird angle I took it in, but it's true). The length for me was about 95 cm for an ankle-length maxi.

II. Then I cut my top pieces, two pieces, same measurements, just the front piece with a scooped neckline.
III. When I got to the sleeves, I was running out of fabric. So I had to make them out of a main piece and an extension:)
IV. Then I assembled the whole thing, same steps as here, just leaving out any neckline or sleeve ruffles (I finished those with a double-fold). Also added a couple of darts to the neckline at the back for a better fit, and made a keyhole opening with a little button closure. Here's one keyhole method.
Closer look at the keyhole.
And finally, after attaching the top to the skirt, I added the elastic by sewing it with a zig-zag onto the seam allowance of the waist seam, on the reverse.
Definitely not cold...:)



  1. Happy Holidays from Lapland!!! Here's my last DIY of the year - I did some standard panic buffet near me chinese sewing when I realized a couple of days before flying back home

  2. I am in love with your ideas. I've used some of your previous ideas to make some good dresses for me. I am a party girl always tries to be the best paper writing service 2018 . I was following you for last few months. Thanks a lot for all the designs that you have shared with us.

  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  4. A few hundred quid will buy you a great watch in it's own right without having to resort to buying a fake. replica rolex watches Certain Seiko watches or small brands such as Smiths or Precista from Timefactors have huge following and rightly so. replica watches ukThey have great, durable mechanical movements and will serve for many years.

  5. Just bumped on to your blog while searching for indo western wedding dresses. Went through a couple of posts, they are awesome. Thank you for sharing beautiful designs


I would love to hear what you think and learn about your DIY adventures! If you use one of my tutorials, tag me on social @contour_affair, I'd love to see!


Contour Affair Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger